CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Traitor

Up until now I have only mentioned books that I have enjoyed, but here is an exception: Stephen Coonts' The Traitor. This was intended to be a suspense/thriller novel where you don't know what is going on until the very end. This kind of writing is more common now, but I think very few writers are good enough to pull it off. The plot was patchy and scattered and there were so many characters who could be other characters, it was a bit like reading King Lear. (Except the vocabulary was far from varying. On one page there might be three different things he describes as "delicious." It was annoying... get a thesaurus, PLEASE!) Most of the time I was wondering "What the heck is going on?" and not in a good way. I am very surprised I finished the book at all. I can't even give you a summary of the novel that would seem coherent at all, so I won't even try.

0 comments: