CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 31, 2009

The Host by Stephenie Meyer


I had to post this because everyone gets all giddy over Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series (I did too, don't get me wrong), but I think her best work so far is overlooked. The Host is a far superior book in regards to character development, underlying themes and plot line. It is also Meyer's first novel intended for an adult audience.
The Host is set on Earth after a massive takeover by an alien parasite species (don't run away yet), but there is a small human resistance that hides from the "souls." The problem is that the "souls" have created the perfect society. There is no violent crimes, no stealing, no currency even. They have made a better world, so are the humans justified in taking back our planet when we lived so violently? What does it mean to be human? Should we suppress free-will to make a better society? Is that society really better? There are so many thinking/talking points of this book that I find fascinating and that is just in the underlying story.
Of course, in true Meyer fashion, there is a love triangle. This one is complex and quite unique to any other that I have read, which makes the story even more enjoyable. Altogether a great read and I highly recommend it.
After you read it, I found so interesting discussion questions at the following site. WARNING: Do not go to this site if you have not read the book. It will spoil it!

0 comments: